Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ironman Canada Blues....


Lately I have been feeling a bit down.. sort of not quite right... at first I thought it was the weather or the fact that I realized its mid August and despite the fact that we frequently have nice weather in Seattle through September, fall is closing in quickly and we really haven't had much of a summer. I'm sure it is a bit of the above as I love summer time, the late nights, lots of light and time spent playing outside, but then I realized the REAL reason. There won't be an Ironman Canada for me this year....

I have spent the last 5 years either in Penticton racing, signing up or playing support, and this year..... well the closest I will get is ironman.com to check in on those participating in one of the best events around. Penticton not only host a great event, they are all about Ironman and know what it takes to make first timers as well as seasoned ironman athletes feel welcome and supported.

I will miss walking down Lakeshore drive this year..... to swim with 2000 of my closest friends, I will miss the magic of Richter Pass and Yellow lake and I will wonder how this year I would feel at the turn around on the run knowing in 13 miles I would hear my name called out........ Ironman Canada certainly has some wonderful memories for me, I miss it, I just might have to put another Ironman on my calendar next year so when the end of summer starts rolling around I won't be thinking about why I'm blue.

BEST OF LUCK to all those racing in Penticton this weekend, my thoughts will be with you and I'll be wishing I was out there sharing in the energy and electricity of the day!

2 comments:

Jerome Harrison said...

Isn't it funny how we get into a pattern each year and MISS our favorite races terribly?? Glad you figured out what was wrong though. I felt the same way. This is the 1st year in the last 5 or so that I didn't race Eagleman 70.3, but I was in Vancouver racing, so I was VERY happy choosing to race in Vancouver, but I REALLY missed Eagleman...so, I am going back in 09! :) Happy Friday! Jen H.

rr said...

Hi Colleen -

Thanks for saying hello, come out of lurkmode more often!!!

I'm not coming to nats. Had some problems (like coach not wanting me to go, not being fit enough, etc) and canned it. Really bummed though. Have a wonderful time, good luck!

rachel